Wednesday, July 1, 2009

More research

I think it's pretty interesting how each day another new thought or concept pops into my head. Sometimes the idea is completely new to me, sometimes the concept is the convergence of random thoughts into something that resembles coherency. One day at a time, one step at a time. It's a good thing I started writing these things down.

My thoughts for today:

What are the graduation requirements (if any) in each of the fifty states in the area of financial literacy, economics, or anything resembling the like? I have looked at Texas and Oklahoma so far. I must say, the Oklahoma State Department of Education appears to be taking this quite seriously. They have created a "passport", containing several key concepts, that will be required for graduation no later than the graduating class of 2014. Concepts include checkbook balancing, identity theft, understanding loans and predatory lending, and several other real world topics.

My other primary thought today involves my need for a partner. Or partners. Someone with complimentary skills. That could be in the areas of financial planning, education, ministry, media, or who knows what else. I know I'm not smart enough to do all of this alone. What does the partnership look like? Again, I have no idea right now. When the time is right, it will happen.

One day, one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. The Vo-Tech programs in OK have lots of written curricula that could give you some help in structuring your thoughts. I could give you some ideas about that as well. You would have to have written goals about what the student should learn, then objectives for specific concepts, then more specific activities and or work product for the student to complete, and finally, an assessment of the learning.
    The hardest part will be letting some school allow you to "beta test" your concept. I recommend making the "Home Ec" teacher your friend. This is probably the curriculum area that already covers some or all of the material you are wanting to include. The smaller school districts might be more open to someone outside the school system working with their students.
    After several revisions, you could then approach a multi-site system with your program. Junior Colleges and Vo-Techs might also be open to letting someone else develop and deliver the curriculum.
    Call me if you have any more thoughts you want to bounce off someone.
    Elbert

    ReplyDelete