Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Financial Literacy needs

So. I have been drawn towards compiling and / or creating educational media in the area of financial literacy for those between the ages of, say, 16-25. This appears to me to be a topic that has not had just a whole lot of attention. Quick google and amazon.com searches do not provide an over abundance of information targeted to this demographic.

So what then am I going to do about it? I'm not exactly sure. I am gathering information to determine what already exists. Some of that may be out of date by now. Some of it could be outstanding material. This blog is an outgrowth of my need to pursue this avenue until it runs its course. How long will that be? I have no clue.

The bottom line is that we do not need a generation that is financially illiterate. Students today possess powerful tools that provide instant results - direct uploads of videos to YouTube, posting pictures on Facebook or MySpace, iPhones and Blackberry devices to maintain constant contact with whatever they desire. Further, I believe that today's students are quite intelligent, and are very adept at multi-tasking. Therefore, a strong foundation of financial literacy is required for their future economic stability. By extension, the combination of those powerful tools and even a basic grasp of most financial concepts will make them intelligent creators and consumers of goods and services during their adult lives.

I encourage comments, stories, school programs and curriculum that work and those that do not, success and failure stories, essentially anything related to this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment